The Strategic Advisory Council comprises senior outside scientific figures,representatives of national and international funding agencies and industry. There are two major duties:
- To provide overall strategic direction and vision
- To monitor the equity and ethical stance of the network including an appeal procedure in the event of internal disputes.
The current members of the committee apart from the Coordinator as project representative are:
- Fred Mulder, UNESCO Chair in OER at the Open Universiteit in the Netherlands / former Rector OUNL
- Mary McAleese, Chair of the EU High Level Group on the Modernisation of Higher Education, former President of Ireland
- Alek Tarkowski, director Centrum Cyfrowe
- Mariana Patru, UNESCO Programme Specialist – Teacher Policy and Development
- Cecilia D’Oliveira, Associate Dean for Digital Learning, M.I.T
- Dominic Orr, Researcher & policy analyst, Forschungsinstitut für Bildungs- und Sozialökonomie
The Strategic Advisory Council will meet annually to provide an opportunity to reflect on progress within the project. The Council will select its own moderator for the purposes of each meeting. Members of the Council will be given any document or deliverables submitted during the current period together with any further documentation that they choose to request from individual programmes, actions or projects. If possible, the meetings will be held shortly before a Steering Committee meeting to ensure that any issues highlighted by the Strategic Advisory Council can be rapidly acted on by the Steering Committee.